Wednesday, October 18, 2006

How Does The Moon Become Small?

This Letter To The Moon appeared on The Blue Doodle on September 30:

-------------------------------

God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate day from night; they shall serve as signs for the set times--the days and the years; and they shall serve as lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth." And it was so. God made the two great lights, the greater light to dominate the day and the lesser light to dominate the night, and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to dominate the day and night, and to separate the light from darkness. And God saw that this was good.
­-- Genesis 1:14-18


Dear Moon,

You see, I thought you were jealous.

When you cried, "How can two kings wear the same crown?" I told you to make yourself the smaller of the two lights. Sensing your distress, I told you Israel would set its calendar by you. I tried to lighten your mood when I said that, in your honor, righteous people would be called "the small." You did not find that funny.

"Of what use is a lamp in broad daylight?" you asked. Alongside the sun, what would be your job? You were seeking clarity. You wanted purpose. It was I who pitted you against the Sun.
We fathers do the best we can, even when we don't see clearly. This is why I sought atonement.

Still, it was not I who made you small. Who made you small when you asked, "How can we be equal?" Then I said what I said: "Go make yourself smaller." I should have simply told you to put it down. Sun beams, flowers grow; moon shines, oceans move.

You have that choice yet. Put it all down, and forgive. Then your full size is completely restored.

I love you.

-Pop

2 comments:

j said...

That is so deep I don't know where to begin.

Wingtiphsu said...

Zen Master, you are gifted. A thousand thanks for sharing that gift.