Monday, October 23, 2006

Writin' Til My Fingers Bleed

If it seems like I have less active on these blogs - both my own, and in the comments on yours - you are right. Things have been busy.

Yesterday, I invited a dozen people over to a friend's apartment in Hollywood for a sit-down reading of a radio play I have been working on for a while, entitled Do You Hear What I Hear?, and have nearly finished. I wanted to invite many more people, but there just wasn't enough space.

I made one horrible mistake that bears repeating: I relied on Evite to get the word around, and one individual whom I really wanted to be there (having written the character with her voice in my head) somehow didn't get the lowdown. It really would have paid for me to follow up with direct email, or some other means to make sure she got the word. It really is my fault. I blew it.

It is both very stressful and immensely pleasurable to sit back and let actors read your play. It is also enormously useful to get their feedback, and also hear from people who did not read, but sat and listened to the whole thing. My friend Deb, I noticed, didn't even look at the actors reading. She sat back and shut her eyes or looked at the floor, knowing it would be a radio play.
The play will be submitted to an annual competition for radio plays next month.

If you ask about this bandaid on my finger, I am tempted to say I was hacking away at my play until my finger bled, but it would not be the truth. In fact, while taking a break from writing this weekend, I was chopping veggies for a soup that cannot be beat, and was chopping with a little extra brio. Ka-bam, I chopped right into my left index finger.

This little piggy bled for an hour.

I'm getting the hang of tying with nine fingers, but playing the ukulele is impossible. Damn it.

The first Theatre Dojo event will take place the weekend of November 18. We are going to present a one-time workshop and invite everyone we know to come, for a tiny pittance, to try out our class and give us feedback. The idea is to devise a system for training actors that incorporates sitting meditation, yogic practice for tuning the body, and a hidden form of Tai Chi that is interactive. This approach allows an exploration of several principles important for stage actors, that are often neglected in conventional American approaches. We want to present some of this to actors and hear what they think they could use from it.

More details coming soon. Would you like to come and play with us for three hours in Hollywood? I hope so.

2 comments:

skroy said...

ouchamunga. that sounds as bad as the time i chopped off the tip of my thumb while making borscht. took three months to seal over. another three months to look like a thumb. the tip of the thumbprint is still messed up.

so sorry for your accident. hopefully ukie finds an activity in the meanwhile. (video games?)

Ji Hyang said...

Congrats on the dojo!
A dream coming true-- through your vision and do- it mind. Still envision the tea house.