Thursday, December 21, 2006

Soon My Eyes Will Close (Soul-Tuckered)

Been working on a song for ukulele, lyrics by Gus Kahn...

Though the days are long
Twilight sings a song
Of the happiness that used to be.
Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams you're always near to me.
I'll see you in my dreams...


I am bone weary, deep hearted, metallic taste in the mouth tired. World-tired. Soul tuckered.
When it's time to close my eyes and find repose (if not parinirvana ) , will I have the energy to pluck that song out on my ukulele - the loopiest sort of death poem ever?
On this cold night in Los Angeles, while my ginger tea nightcap brews on the stovetop, Shakespeare and Seung Sahn are having a dialogue. Listen in.

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.


-Shakespeare (from MacBeth)

Coming empty-handed, going empty-handed -- that is human.
When you are born, where do you come from?
When you die, where do you go?
Life is like a floating cloud which appears.
Death is like a floating cloud which disappears.
The floating cloud itself originally does not exist.
Life and death, coming and going, are also like this.
But there is one thing which always remains clear.
It is pure and clear, not depending on life and death.
What is that one pure and clear thing?

-Seung Sahn

I would like to wrap this blanket around everyone lost in the cold.

Tender eyes that shine,
They will guide my way tonight.
I'll see you in my dreams...


ka-plunka dunka wunka chung...!

2 comments:

skroy said...

oh, so beautiful. so dreamy. so warm and comforting and crackling like a fire. wunka dunka thunka thought.

j said...

just lovely..