Friday, June 22, 2007

Making Making

Some volunteers from a certain organization have put in some time at the center recently. They are committed, industrious people who are involved (so it has been whispered) in some kind of encounter-group training that sounds similar to the law of attraction and "The Secret" but we don't ask them questions. For the most part, they have left their dogmas out of their interactions with us so we don't make it our business.

Until yesterday, when one of their volunteers was sitting by my desk waiting for someone. As she sat there, my internet browser froze while I was in the middle of something. I made an annoyed clucking noise and said, "Oy, now the computer's stuck."

The lady mumbled something with a big smile on her face. While I closed and reopened the browser, I asked her for a repeat. And she said, with the smile unwavering, "I was just wondering why you made that."

(Oh no, here we go.)

Typical of me, I tried reason despite knowing it was useless. "I didn't 'make' it. It's a simple mechanical phenomenon that happens routinely."

Smile continues, starting to look smug. "Well, tell me what's on your mind."

"The task at hand."

"What was on your mind before the computer went down?"

"The task at hand."

I then suggested that every snowflake falls exactly where it's supposed to, and there's no problem with mechanical problems OR having feelings.

The smile faded at last and she shrugged. "If you say so."

But here is WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE:

Took a sheet of paper, crumpled it, bonked it off her head, and then enquired with wide-eyed innocence, "Why did you make that?"

1 comment:

Theriomorph said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!

BONK.