Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Joining Names

Sarah said she wants to be a D'Ammassa. Moreover, she would do it sans hyphenation.

This was a strange thing for me to hear. I have gotten very used to women keeping their own names upon marriage, and it hadn't actually occurred to me that Sarah would become Sarah D'Ammassa. Not that I mind.

When the current mayor of Los Angeles was married in 1987, he was still Tony Villar. Upon his marriage to Corina Raigosa, he spliced the names together and came up with Villaraigosa. Now they are pursuing a divorce - I don't know what they're going to do about their names now.

The approach wouldn't work for us, anyway. Willamassa?

D'Ammilliams?

Sarahnon Dilliassa? Algerah Williamma?

Sheesh. This is all a lot more involved than I ever imagined.

No comments: