Friday, February 15, 2008

Whatever Happened To Befriending?

"To friend" is not a verb.

No, it isn't.

And no, I'm not a neo-Luddite old fart who resists new technology. Get over yourself. Here at Notes From A Burning House, we love the internet (obviously! hello, blogosphere!), and all those social networking sites on which you spend your leisure time. If we were on Facebook, we'd throw you a sheep to prove how "with it" we are.

We have very good words in this old language of ours, and we have very powerful verb form of "friend" that already does the job you are trying to do when you take a noun and force it to pretend it's a verb.

The verb is BEFRIEND.

Human beings have befriended one another throughout history. You don't "friend" anybody. You also don't car to work, beer yourself at the end of the day, or advil your headache.

To be fair, we have to admit that some nouns have become accepted as verbs. We "mail" things to one another. We also telephone people, but we don't "cell" them - at least not yet. In Los Angeles, many people are "gunned down" year after year. Okay, these things happen.

We will not, however, "friend" you. On the other hand, we are always happy to befriend you and welcome your comments.

2 comments:

quidrock said...

Unfortunately, for the language, I hear that people are "texting" me every day. ARGHHHHH!

Befriend me, please.

quid

Mike said...

Umm...I am willing to bebeer myself or to be the beer or to become one with the beer or just to beer myself every day.

I am also willing to befriend you as an A-1 anti-war blogger.

...Unless I have completely misread you due to this whole beer thing I've got going on at the moment.