Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Didn't Do Anything, But I Apologize

This blog has taken a step back from presidential politics this month, mainly because it would be repeating the same dreary material over and over again. Also, a lot of my friendly readers might tire of my complaining about Democrats.

Actually, in the Congress, Democrats had a good week.

At the risk of appearing as a Hillary Clinton basher (a "monster" if you will), just want to say something that CNN and other news media appear unwilling to say; and it's a phenomenon in public discourse that is not unique to Hillary Clinton.

Here's the CNN headline: "Clinton Apologizes To Black Voters."

They go on to report: "Senator Hillary Clinton did something Wednesday night that she almost never does. She apologized."

Here is the alleged apology: "You know I am sorry if anyone was offended. It was certainly not meant in any way to be offensive."

No fault is admitted. The incident is written off as a misunderstanding. No recognition of hurt feelings (I'm sorry IF anyone was offended). Whatever it is she is trying to say, she is not really apologizing.

There is no journalistic ethic, no standard of impartiality, that requires a reporter to refer to an apple as a vegetable just because a politician says it is.

Yet they call this transparent spin an "apology."

1 comment:

Andrew said...

"I am sorry if anyone was offended"

This turn of phrase has always annoyed me. Growing up I knew someone who would say offensive things, and then follow up with this phrase. I always thought, "No. What you said was offensive. Anyone would take it that way, because it was. Apologize for that."

People need to realize that apologizing does not make them weak. It takes a strong person to admit when he or she has erred.