Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Settling In

The blog has quieted a down a bit as its author has begun a few days of training for his new job and the family settles in to life in a much smaller city. Our night life has consisted of soothing our wrathful baby or watching the mid-summer lightning rake the skies.

Teaching college? That was a dawdle. Being part of a public school district and wrapping my mind around the varied requirements, now that is bewildering. An instructional leader went through the documentation of a single lesson plan and I got that woozy feeling behind my eyes, similar to when I'm hearing a lecture on madhyamika Buddhism. I'm not sure which is more difficult to understand, tell you the truth.

This morning, in just a few minutes actually, I will drive north on Gold Street past the railroad tracks into another part of town and find my school. There are numerous things I need to do that I wish were out of the way already, but there you are.

Sangha-wise, I put a note in the window of the Readers Alcove (the neighborhood book shop)inviting folks to come join me on our porch for Zen sitting. On Saturdays, I've been visiting the Silver City Zen Center and have been touched by their warm welcome.

There are some stories and images I have to share, but first there are a few things to square away and -- oh! Gabriel's crying again. Pardon me...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I've never lived in a large city. In fact, Knoxville, TN (where I graduated from the University) is probably the largest. So....I can't really say what it would be like to raise a child in a city. I can say, though, there are lots of advantages to raising a child in a smaller town (though what I call small vs. what you call small might be quite different!).

Good luck as you continue to settle in to your new environment and new routine!

Anonymous said...

Algernon-
Be at ease. The lesson-plan-thing will seem second nature in no time at all. You've got a lot on your plate right now, and that woozy feeling may have several contributing factors. Hang in. Proceed on. Be you.
Cousin Stephanie