Monday, October 13, 2008

I Prefer My Own Reality, Thanks

When writing about current events in this blog, we have tried to be very fair to Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, a potential President of the United States, thrust onto a national stage before she was really prepared and making her best show of it.

We learned soon after that she was the subject of an ethics probe in her home state, one called for by a legislative body that included three Republicans and two Democrats. The so-called "Troopergate" affair involved an allegation that the Governor abused her powers in trying to get a state official fired because he declined to fire her estranged brother-in-law. Since nothing was proven here, we didn't touch it. The investigation is now complete and a report was issued by that same 3/5 Republican legislative body. Would you like to read it? (Gosh, this internet thingie is handy.)

The conclusion is set forth in clear, declarative sentences that a layman can easily understand: The Governor "abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

Palin's reaction to the report was to tell reporters, "I'm very very pleased to be cleared of any legal wrongdoing, any hint of any kind of unethical activity there."

This and many other statements she made over the weekend about the report (which, again, can be read by any literate person right here ) fly in the face of what is actually stated in the summary of an orderly investigation into what happened. It presents the legal line, and demonstrates when and how the Governor stepped over it, and what one would expect is that there would be an acknowledgment. Perhaps the Governor would refute the results; or perhaps she would accept the results and express contrition.

Instead, this Governor who might be President denied reality and chose an alternative universe. If the report is wrong, she should make her case. But she is running around telling voters that the report cleared her of any wrongdoing.

Would that approach work with my car loan, I wonder? I'll zip off a letter on my letterhead telling the lienholder how happy I am that I have paid off my car loan.

Of course, if I do that, my car will get towed. If I then continue to insist that my car loan is paid, Sarah would take me to the hospital and have me evaluated for psychosis. (My Sarah, that is, not the Governor.)

We doubt Sarah Palin is exhibiting mental illness here. What she exhibits, rather, is the position held by the current regime that the truth is little more than performance art, that defining reality is a privilege that comes to power.

This is what makes her unfit for the public trust, especially in the office of Vice-President.

1 comment:

quid said...

I kinda like the thread that Andrew Sullivan's been running about Palin since the Bridge to Nowhere. He calls it "The Odd Lies of Sarah Palin". I think he's on about #19. In his words:

"As I've said, Palin's lies are not like most political lies. They are not spin or vagueness or misdirection or clever use of words. They are simply statements that what has been empirically shown to be true is false, or vice-versa. They are denials of basic reality. They are a function of some kind of psychological detachment from reality. She either has a serious psychiatric problem or her mindset makes Bush's funamentalist psyche seem positively flexible. In either case, her presence on the ticket simply makes a vote for McCain unacceptable. She should be a deal-breaker for any rational person."

She is very odd in that she is not stupid, but lacks all intellectual curiousity, and doesn't try to learn anything that doesn't benefit her directly. Anything that makes her look bad? Lie about it. She'll turn on McCain after the election if they don't win. She'll think she could have won if he'd been better at the game, "like she is".

quid