Sunday, January 04, 2009

Hot Buttered Rum

That's what we're serving at Casa D'Ammassa tonight, along with our hot black bean chili. (There is rum in that, too.)

Hot buttered rum? What concoction is this, and why drink such a thing?

In a mug, put in a little butter, a little sugar, and three teaspoons of rum. Pour boiling water on top, and stir in whatever combination of cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg you like.

A little treat we are giving ourselves tonight.

Because vacation is over.

Because people keep remarking on how cold it is, yet it feels warm to me.

Because it might snow this week.

Because in America these days, the police might label you a terrorist because you think we should build bike lanes.

Or just because. Here's your mug.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I kind of like "just because"! Cheers!

Hal Johnson said...

Just a bit of a coincidence, I suppose: Rhonda handed me a hot buttered rum just before I read this, and it's my first one since last Holiday Season. Happy New Year.

Kelly said...

Mmmmm.... the black bean chili sounds good (without the rum, of course).

Jane R said...

Ooh, what a great idea!

I've had a bottle of rum on the top shelf since last year. (Shows you how much I drink.) And for once I have butter in the house.

Off to the kitchen I go. Thanks, Alg! Cheers to you and Sarah and the gorgeous Gabriel. L'chaim.

Algernon said...

Rum in the chili adds a little tang. I normally splash a little beer in it. Sometimes I have even snuck a few bites of pineapple or orange in there. A little tang balances the black beans and the heat.

Darlene said...

Only three teaspoons of rum? Is that all?

Next time, try it with agave instead of sugar -- yum!