Friday, April 10, 2009

On Teabagging

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

On Tax Day, there are going to be some protests against the federal budget, adopting the Boston Tea Party as their theme. People will be waving tea bags and/or sending them to Obama.

Partisan activists have attempted to coin a new slang verb, teabagging. Unfortunately, as you may already know, this verb has been taken. It is sexual slang for um, an oral act. Nuff said?

The innocence of some on-air personalities and activists as they call on citizens to "teabag Obama" and "teabag them before they teabag you" leads to the kind of unintentional humor that is hard to comment on in prime time news.

But Rachel Maddow pulled it off, in one of my favorite moments in this week's news. Here she is, along with an Air America colleague, having so much fun over "teabagging" that Maddow actually has to quiet the offstage laughter of the TV crew!

Thanks, folks. I needed the laugh.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oooookay. I've learned something new. Not usually naive (thanks to my kids) this is one that had previously slipped past me.

Of course I would be sitting here with a mug of tea while reading this. (made from loose tea, not teabags, lol)

Gives a whole new visual now when hearing the term "teabagging".

Gee. Thanks.

quid said...

I loved this.

quid