Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Honk Chronicles, Day 7

Two of our boys do not have good situations at home -- do not, in fact, live at their home for the time being for terribly sad reasons. For them, rehearsing the show has been a respite in more ways than one.

One of the boys is not getting much sleep at night. Today, he crawled into a cabinet and went to sleep. When he missed his cue and no one knew where he was, we were frantic. Who was it that thought to look for him in the cabinet? A wise church secretary.

Another fella in particular is one of our favorites, to whom we gave a principal role despite being musically challenged. God love him, but if you painted him with glue and tried sticking sheet music to him, it would fall off.

Ukulele to the rescue.

For his solo song of lament, we are turning him into a blues singing genius. He speaks, chants, sings phrases, whatever he can do. With a hat over my face, I follow as an anonymous farmer, playing a blues riff on the uke and following his lead.

We can't make him a singer, but we can make him a comedy sensation.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

The more I read about this little production, the more I wish I could be there for the premiere. (or is it a one-time event?)

I bet it's going to be a roaring success.

quid said...

The highs and lows of getting ready for the plays debut are drawing me in.

And oh yes, I love that the ukelele will make an appearance.