Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The House Was Shaking

The little house on the corner has been fixed up and rented out. The characters living there are young, let their dogs run loose to menace the neighbors, and one of them drives a white S.U.V. with one of those mammoth sound systems, all bass, drowning out any conversation or anything you might have been listening to in your own car or home.

As early as 7:00 am, I've heard the stereo pounding the block. There is the width of an entire street and another house between us and their Sport Utility Woofer, and yet our house shakes. The windows rattle in their frames, the ground vibrates, and the tremors make it up into the walls.

There's no delicate way to describe it. The only words that suffice are: TOO FUCKIN' LOUD.

This evening, suppertime, it was so bad I thought it might induce spontaneous bowel movements up and down the street. In the name of hygiene and keeping some peace, I decided a little democracy in action was necessary. Out I went and walked across the street to the vehicle. I put on my least threatening, eyebrows up, smiling face, and waved to the car.

A young woman rolled down the automatic window and looked at me curiously. People are normally supposed to be cowed by oversized vehicles with tinted windows; it's the same reason so many government buildings are made to look like fortresses. The message is, "If I want your opinion, hell will freeze over."

"Hi!" I greeted her in a neighborly tone. "Sorry to bug you, but I wanted to let you know that your stereo is often so loud that my house shakes. It actually shakes, I'm not kidding. We've got a baby and all and I was wondering if you'd help out and bring that volume down a little."

She looked at me as if weighing whether or not to blow my head off, then shrugged and said, "Yeah."

Thanked her profusely, did I, and went back home. Hoping that maybe just this once a polite and friendly request would make a difference.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I guess Deming doesn't have a sound ordinance?

I'm out of the city limits, so I can hear (feel) cars/trucks 'pumping' out on the county road, but in town there's a law against it.

Pam said...

LOL!! Not funny if in your shoes. Let us know if your friendly request does the trick.

There's a kid that lives in a house along our alley who rocks the neighborhood this way.

Can't tell you how many times my dogs have bounded out of bed barking when what's-his-face pounds his way up and down the alley at all hours of the night.

There are also some kids that park in the church parking lot across the street on the weekends, visit, whatever with bass that could move mountains, or bowels, take your pick! LOL!

quid said...

The olive branch.

Excellent strategy.

Hope it works.

quid