Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This Life Form Is Patented

Hard to believe it, but this is an American farmer talking:

Before seed patents, I had a choice between buying seed or using my own. Today I have no choice at all. I simply have to pay what seed companies ask. If I don’t, my friends in St Louis can pick my carcass barer than my planting options.


In other words, Monsanto can sue him for planting seeds he doesn't buy from them. Meanwhile, they are jacking up the price of the seed. Read Richard Oswald's letter here.

Doesn't this rather strain the myth that America is all about free enterprise and competition?

1 comment:

Nathan said...

As an avid gardener, good food lover, and plant lover, I've been reading about this stuff for years. Monsanto, and companies like them, are working to destroy so many things all at once. Plant diversity, especially genetic diversity. Seed sharing. Small scale farming. It's really one of the major issues of the 21st century.