Friday, September 11, 2009

Is It Still 9/11?

On this fearful anniversary in years past, I have suggested that the event of 11 September 2001 is something that is still unfolding.

In 2009, I still believe this to be true. It is 9/11. As a nation, we are still there.

No matter how much individual healing has taken place among some, our argument about what happened that day, what it means, what we should do, suggest to me that we are have not yet come out from under the politics of siege.

It turns my stomach to see the event continue to be politicized this week, by people who are themselves using it for political advantage.

I won't. No further commentary on public affairs today, in this space.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Here's a positive about 9/11: it's my birthday.

(not to diminish the tragedy that occured on that date)