Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Kwan Seum Bosal For Daido Loori Roshi

Late tonight, a little behind the ball, we have learned from a priest in the Mountains and Rivers Order that Daido Loori Roshi, an American Zen Master in the lineage of Maezumi roshi, is likely dying.

Having never met him, I knew him only through his writings and recorded dharma talks. I have greatly admired his teaching, have been both inspired and humbled (even embarrassed, more than once) by his expressions of the buddhadharma.

During the years I lived on the east coast, I blew many opportunities to sit with him and his senior students, owing to my laziness and opinions. So it went.

We add his name to the altar here at the Deming Zen Group, with great appreciation for his practice, his teaching, and his life.

Acknowledgment (and deep bows) to Nathan of the Dangerous Harvests blog, without whom we would not have heard this news.

No comments: