Sunday, January 03, 2010

Buddhism On Fox News

Happy Epiphany, everyone.

A reader emailed me asking if I was going to respond to a comment made by Brit Hume on Fox News this morning, calling on Tiger Woods to rehabilitate his career by converting to Christianity.

Asked whether Brit Hume could foresee the golfer returning to his exalted status as a professional golfer, without being upstaged by his recent sex scandal, Hume chose to focus on Woods's religion:

The extent to which he can recover seems to me depends on his faith. He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. So, my message to Tiger is, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.'
Here's the video:




The comment about Buddhism, I don't have much to say about. Hume does not appear to know anything about Buddhism. He also does not appear interested in being educated about it. So who cares?

Hume didn't actually opine on whether Buddhism upholds family views -- that could actually be an interesting topic. Was Siddhartha a "deadbeat dad" for abandoning his family and going on a spirit quest at midlife? And how about all those followers of his, who chopped off their hair and left their jobs and their families behind? Bunch of hippies! Well, except for the hair.

More remarkable, to me, is the open proselytization for one faith over another, on a program that is presented as a news program, on a network that is presented as an impartial (or "fair and balanced") news network. Remarkable, but not surprising.

*Yawn.*

4 comments:

Nathan said...

yep, I just wrote similar things at the end my post on this issue. fox is too predictable.

quid said...

Brit Hume. Consider the source.

Moss said...

Arguments against Buddhism, and their refutations.

AnarchyJack said...

While I admire your restraint, I'm simply not capable of depriving myself of such low-hanging fruit. Out of respect for your magnanimity, I'll restrict my views on this to another page