Thursday, January 21, 2010

Conan's Revenge (UPDATED)

This got me.

If you haven't been following this story, here is a recap: Years ago, NBC brokered a deal in which Jay Leno, then host of the Tonight Show, would leave the show in 2009, and turn over hosting duties to Conan O'Brien. After only seven months, during which time Leno hosted an unsuccessful prime-time talk show, NBC abruptly pushed O'Brien aside so that Leno could return.

Reports are that O'Brien is getting a $40 million buyout from NBC. All the same, he is pretty upset about how he has been treated. Leno is getting bad press, but NBC is getting the worst of it. There is a great deal of sympathy for O'Brien in the meantime.

This is probably O'Brien's last week as host of the Tonight Show, and he is going out in vengeful style. I presume he and his lawyers have that $40 million agreement signed in indelible ink, because O'Brien is now highlighting very, very expensive stunts on the show just to waste the network's money.

Enter, the Bugatti Veyron mouse. I'm not proud to admit this, but I have been laughing about this all afternoon. Oh well. Enjoy.




The following evening, he topped this with an even more expensive stunt:


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I have to admit, I haven't cared much about late night television since Johnny Carson left the 'Tonight Show'. He was the best!

Pam said...

While the entire fiasco is just one big mess, I have to admit that I've never found Conon that funny.

And, to be honest, I don't watch late night TV, so I don't much care who is on or not on.

mum said...

The stunt the next night, featuring an appearance by Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird and costing about $5M, was even better. Although I too don't find Conan very funny. Or Leno. I hate the Jaywalking segment and very concept.

quid said...

I've laughed at him all week and all last week. Never really watched, but I gravitate to his role in this. His last night was great.

quid