Friday, February 26, 2010

Domestic Partnerships in New Mexico, Post Mortem


[A letter sent today]


Senator John Arthur Smith

Box 998

Deming, NM 88030


RE: SB 12 and Domestic Partnerships, Post Mortem


Dear Senator,


According to the official roll call of the New Mexico Senate dated today, SB 12 on Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities failed to pass by a vote of 17 to 25 against. It shows that you voted against the legislation.


Rather than leap to unflattering personal conclusions, as a writer to the Deming Headlight has already done, I thought I would enquire as to your thoughts about this bill and why you did not support it.


In principle, I believe we need to embrace the concept that any two adults, even if they are of the same sex, should be permitted in our United States to enter into a formal commitment to each other with all of the legal protections, benefits, and obligations of marriage. In fact, I would call it marriage.


There has never been a credible argument presented, by anyone, why my friends Brian and Stephen should not be married, or why that would be a harmful thing for society. If anything, society benefits. What often shows up, upon examination, is a simple discomfort with the idea of two men or two women marrying each other. If you have something more compelling, I would like to hear it.


It’s time for our nation to mature, get past this baseless discomfort, and move on to greater challenges. Perhaps SB 12 had flaws as legislation – I would enjoy hearing about them. Perhaps you would support an improved version of the bill?


I await your thoughts with interest.


Sincerely,

3 comments:

Adam said...

I agree with your general point-- but to the best of my knowledge, Brian and Stephen don't live in New Mexico.

Algernon said...

There are Brians and Stephens in every American city.

quid said...

Full of charm ... wonder if that will get it an answer?

quid