Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A Correction

This is one erratum I am happy to print.

In my New Year's Day post, I cited some dismaying research on the changes taking place in the ecological framework that sustains human life -- i.e., climate change. In the post, I cited one very dramatic example of how quickly things are moving. According to a 2007 report by the U.N.'s panel on climate change, the Himalayan glacier might have melted entirely away by the year 2035.

A recent review of this research has found that this prediction is not supported by the facts and should not have been included in the report.

Although I am glad this particular prophecy has fallen, the remaining 938 pages of that report remain in place. The glaciers are melting rapidly, river systems are being effected, and human beings in our own hemisphere are feeling the effects. The process has not been debunked, just one detail.

No comments: