Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Deming Has Its Elections

Deming re-elected its mayor yesterday, with very low turnout. My own district saw 22% participation by registered voters, and that was higher than others. I do not know how many eligible voters were not registered.

To give you an idea of the size of this election, the mayor won a total of 662 votes, and his nearest rival won 301 votes. In a city of 15,000 people, there are 6,371 registered voters.

We can a whole lot better than that -- but I get the sense that this low participation favors the incumbents, who thus are not motivated to register more voters and get the turnout up.

What I do enjoy about the city elections is that party affiliations are left out of it. If the local parties so much as endorsed a candidate, you would never know it. The Luna County Republican Party headquarters is in my neighborhood, and I walk by it frequently -- a nice-looking storefront on Spruce Street, around the corner from the new coffee shop. All they have up in their window is their sign and a badly spelled Tea Party manifesto affixed to the window with scotch tape. There was nothing about the city elections.

These were the candidates, by the way.

This has been a follow-up on earlier posts. Forgive me for going local for a moment.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a pitiful turnout!