Wednesday, June 09, 2010

An Antidote to Harry Potter


Since the end of May, I have been spending a great deal of time on a film set in El Paso, Texas.

Yesterday, in particular, was a long day of waiting. Our location was a small roadside convenience store on a quiet road near the El Paso / Santa Teresa line. There was no room to hang around inside, so half the day was spent sheltering under a tree with members of the crew.

It was here that finally, belatedly, I sampled the first of Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events," a series of darkly-themed fantasy novels for younger readers. I found it quite amusing and enjoyable, a nice antidote to Harry Potter fantasies that are just made for a John Williams soundtrack. Whereas, this tale would have been well suited by, say, The Amoebic Ensemble. (Ah, how I miss them.)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

So did you enjoy the book enough to continue on with the rest of the series? I've considered trying them, but have so many other things to read. As for Harry Potter...I think I'm probably one of the only people on earth who hasn't read any of the books.

I listened to some clips of The Amoebic Ensemble at Amazon and have have to admit it was growing on me more and more with each one I heard. Interesting.

quid said...

I love the Lemony Snicket series. I've only read a couple, because I have no children to share them with anymore, but I'm glad you got a break and got to sample!

quid