Friday, June 25, 2010

Opening A Drain

Our kitchen sink drain was clogged. As far as drain clogs go, it was slow, steady, and stubborn: even after a bout with the plunger, the drain would still back up after only a few seconds of running water.

Before submitting to a poisonous commercial drain opener -- in general, I really try to hold off on using toxic chemicals in the home until the last resort -- I tried the old fashioned recipe:

1/2 cup baking soda

1/2 cup white vinegar

A fun chemistry project for the home, complete with a satisfying sizzle. Baking soda first, then the vinegar, right down the drain. Cover. Sizzle sizzle sizzle. Visualize grease buildup slowly being broken down into glycerin and slippery base molecules.

Get a kettle of water going, and when it boils, pour the boiling water into the drain(s).

Worked nicely.

Note: this probably won't work if your grease buildup is this advanced:

2 comments:

Pam said...

LOL!!!! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that is one nasty drain!! ahahaha


I'll have to remember your remedy when I run out of Liquid Plumber.

Kelly said...

That's really gross looking!

I'm going to make note of that remedy, too. I already pour the left over hot water from my tea kettle down the drain every day. Figure it can't hurt.