Saturday, October 09, 2010

Goat Heads


Another flat today. I'm flatting out a little more than once a month. This is because I live in goat head country, and even sticking to the paved roads, even with self-sealing tubes, the goat heads are eating me alive -- especially the front tire. Today, after riding around with Gabriel in his bike carrier for the first time (he enjoyed that), I rode back from the wife's church after dropping him off and somewhere on the road I caught a goat head the size of a medieval weapon.

I was going to sit down and write about the goat head for your pleasure. But I came across a page that says exactly what I wanted to say, with photographs. The work has been done for me. Click here and read about the bane of my commute.

4 comments:

Petteri Sulonen said...

Yikes.

I suddenly feel much better about the crazy lady strewing thumb-tacks on bike lanes in my neck of the woods. Those things are murder.

I was going to advise you to try Schwalbe Marathons or Continental Travel Contacts, 'cuz those are practically indestructible (although expensive), but I think even they would have met their match there.

Lorianne said...

Ouch. I'm guessing folks in your neck of the woods don't walk around barefoot for the same reason?

Kelly said...

Geez...that stuff is wicked looking! I'm glad you provided the link since I'm not sure a description without photos would have sufficed.

Algernon said...

A goat head in the foot can ruin an entire day. Just as they make wounds in a tire that "slime" cannot heal, their wounds to flesh are nasty and painful.

I still like to walk barefoot but outdoors I watch my step.